Ques: When was Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) released?
(a) March, 2015
(b) May, 2015
(c) April, 2015
(d) June, 2015
- November 17, 2015 Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju, has been designated as the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Champion for the Asia Region by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- The honour was conferred by Ms. Margarete Wahlstrom, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General for Disaster Risk Reduction, during the inaugural session of the Asia Leaders’ Meeting towards Implementation of the Sendai Framework for DRR in Asia.
- Shri Rijiju is the first regional champion for DRR after the Sendai Agreement.
- Shri Rijiju also happens to be first Indian to be conferred with this honour.
- The UN General Assembly adopted the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction in December 1999 and established UNISDR, the secretariat to ensure its implementation.
- UNISDR’s mandate has been defined by United Nations General Assembly Resolutions (56/195 ).
- It was constituted for the coordination of disaster reduction and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations system and regional organizations.