Question: On April 10, 2019, who was selected for the 28th Saraswati Award for 2018?
(a) Dr. K. Shiva Reddy
(b) Mahabaleshwar Mishra
(c) Yasharth Chaturvedi
(d) Sumitra Jain
- Telugu poet K Siva Reddy is to be conferred the prestigious Saraswati Samman 2018.
- He will be awarded this for his collection of poems titled Pakkaki Ottigilite (Turning Aside While Lying Down).
- Reddy was born in 1943 in a farmer’s family in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur. He is counted among the most renowned modern poets in Telugu.
- Reddy has also published critical essays on poetry.
- Pakkaki Ottigilite is an anthology of 104 poems in blank verse capturing the responses of the poet over the years to social change, the evolution of his own self and his dynamic relationship with the world. It was published in 2016.
- This award is given by the KK Birla Foundation annually for an outstanding literary work written in any official Indian language and published during the preceding 10 years.
- It is the highest recognition in the field of Indian literature and carries a cash purse of Rs 15 lakh, apart from a citation and a plaque.
- The KK Birla Foundation has instituted three awards in the field of literature. Which are the Saraswati Samman, Vyas Samman (for Hindi) and Bihari Puraskar (for Hindi and Rajasthani writers of Rajasthan).
- Past recipients of the Saraswati Samman include poet Harivansh Rai Bachchan, and writers Vijay Tendulkar, Shamsur Rahman Faruqi and Dr Indira Parthasarathy Ramanujar, among many others.