Question: Who is the present Governor of Assam?
a. Mr Chittaranjan Sharma
b. P.B Acharya
c. Jyoti Prasad
d. Ram Nath Kovind
- On October 21, 2015 Justice Tinlianthang Vaiphei was sworn in as the new Chief Justice Gauhati High Court, Assam.
- The oath of office was administered by the Governor of Assam Shri PB Acharya.
- On October 19, 2015 in exercise of the powers conferred by article 223 of the Constitution of India the President appointed Tinlianthang Vaiphei, senior-most Judge of Gauhati High Court, to perform the duties of the Chief Justice of Gauhati High court.
- Justice Tinlianthang Vaiphei has been appointed to replace outgoing Chief Justice Justice Karanam Sreedhar Rao, retired on the same day.
- Incidentally this is the first appointment in the higher judiciary after the Supreme Court struck down the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) and a related Constitutional Amendment Act which sought to scrap the collegium system.
- This should be noted that recently a bench of the Supreme Court judges struck down the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) and a related Constitutional Amendment Act which sought to scrap the collegium system declaring it as unconstitutional.