Question: For giving impetus & creating awareness about use of generic medicines, Central Government has decided to celebrate Janaushadhi Diwas, across India on which of the following date?
(a) 7 March
(b) 6 March
(c) 11 March
(d) 5 March
- 7th March 2019 was observed as ‘Janaushadhi Diwas’ across India giving impetus & creating awareness about use of generic medicines.
- Information regarding initiative was notified by Mansukh Mandaviya Union Minister of State for Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- The Government has taken important steps to make affordable and quality generic medicines popular among the people through Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP).The minister also added that the country would have at least 1 PMBJP Kendra by 2020.
Arena of the Program:
- Over 5050 Janaushadhi stores are functional across 652 districts in the country. Around 10-15 lakh people have benefited from generic medicines per day. Market share of generic medicines has grown from 2% to 7% in last 3 years.
- These medicines are cheaper by 50% to 90% of average market price.
- Four big warehouses in Delhi, Guwahati, Bengaluru and Chennai have been opened so as to ensure adequate availability of Janaushadhi medicines at all PMBJP Kendras.
Implementation of the Program:
- BPPI (Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India), under the administrative control of the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals& Fertilizers, Government of India is implementation agency for the PMBJP.