Question: Which edition of the International Tourism Mart was inaugurated on November 23 2019 at Imphal, Manipur?
- Minister of State for Culture & Tourism, Prahlad Singh Patel and Chief Minister of Manipur, N. Biren Singh jointly inaugurated the 8th International Tourism Mart at Imphal, Manipur on November 23 2019.
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, in association with the North Eastern States is organising this event from 23 November to 25 November, 2019.
- The entire North East region has great heritage of culture and natural beauty to attract tourists from across the globe and to attract more tourists to the North East region, there is a need to change the perception and added that government is working towards the same.
Major Highlights of the event:
- This is the 8th International Tourism Mart and an annual event organised in the North Eastern region with the objective of highlighting the tourism potential of the region in the domestic and international markets.
- It brings together the tourism business fraternity and entrepreneurs from the eight North Eastern States. The event has been planned and scheduled to facilitate interaction between buyers, sellers, media, Government agencies and other stakeholders.
- The North East Region of India comprising the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim, is endowed with diverse tourist attractions and products.
- The 8th International Tourism Mart, will put the spotlight on “Sustainable Tourism an engine for Economic Growth and Employment”. The Mart will also give a platform for promoting cultural ties, providing enhanced connectivity to the States of North Eastern Region with other countries in our neighbourhood.
- A total of 36 foreign Buyer delegates from over 19 countries namely Australia, Canada, Cambodia, Czech, Dubai, Italy, Japan, USA, UK, Vietnam etc. participated in the Mart.
- The North East region has witnessed 47% growth in terms of visits of foreign tourists, which is a very good sign for the enire region. Due to reduction in E-Visa fee and reduction in GST rates on Hotel rooms, more tourists are coming to India.
- The government has opened 137 peaks for foreign tourists and besides this, Siachen glacier has also been opened for public. India has jumped in World Travel and Tourism Index from 40th to 34th position in 2019.
- International and Domestic Buyers engaged on business-to-business meetings with sellers from the North Eastern Region.
- An exhibition by State Tourism Departments from the North Eastern States including display of beautiful handicrafts and handlooms was also organised to show case the tourism products of respective participating States.