Question: In which of the following cities of Uttar Pradesh foundation stone for an Intermodal Terminal was laid on 25th January, 2018?
- On January 25th, 2018, Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga RejuvenationShri Nitin Gadkari, laid the foundation stone for an Intermodal Terminal at Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh.
- Shri Manoj Sinha, Minister of State for Communication (Independent Charge) and Railways and Shri Keshav Prasad Maurya, Deputy Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh also presented on the occasion.
- The Rs 155 Cr terminal is being constructed by the Inland Waterways Authority of India as part of the World Bank aided Jal Marg Vikas Project on river Ganga or the NW-I.
- The project aims to augment the navigational capacity of the river.
- The intermodal terminal at Ghazipur will have linkage to both NW-I or River Ganga and NH-19 which is just 650 metres away.
- NH19 links Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh with Patna in Bihar.
- The terminal will have facilities like berths, storage areas and sheds, terminal building, communications systems and electrical substation. It will have a handling capacity of 12 lac tonnes per annum.
- As part of IWAI’s efforts to promote environment friendly mode of transport, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) bunkering facility is also being planned at Ghazipur terminal. IWAI plans to run LNG fuelled vessels on NW1.
- The terminal is expected to provide between 5000 direct and indirect jobs. The first phase of the terminal construction is expected to be completed by April, 2020.
- The intermodal terminal at Ghazipur is one of the several sub projects under the Rs 5369 Crore Jal Marg Vikas project.