Question: Consider the following question in reference to INF Treaty which is recently in news:
1) INF Treaty was signed between US and the then USSR in 1987
2) This treaty banned the usage of long range missiles (above 3500 miles)
3) US announced to pull itself out from the treaty
4) Russia in return also suspended this binding treaty
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 1, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) All of the above.
- In a recent move against nuclear disarmament, US and its counterpart Russia announced to pull themselves out of the INF (Intermediate Range Nuclear Force) Treaty.
- US announced to withdrawal from the treaty on February 2, 2019. Russia did the same in return and announced to suspend the treaty from its part.
- The Intermediate Range Nuclear Force Treaty popularly known as INF Treaty is a Cold War era treaty done between the then chiefs of USA and USSR Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev respectively.
- This treaty was signed on December 8, 1987 at White House, Washington DC.
- Gorbachev was on the visit of US and there both the parties decided not to develop, launch and test the nuclear and non –nuclear land based ballistic and non-ballistic missiles ranging from 500 to 5500 km (310 to 3400 miles) by this treaty.
- This treaty was one of the most important treaties of disarmament during Cold War between US and Russia alongwith Anti Ballistic Treaty in 1972.
- Cold War led to development of large amount of nuclear weapons in US and USSR. Many other European countries also became nuclear powers in that time.
- This created a mandatory situation to stop this arm race which will bring disarmament of nuclear weapons.
- This treaty led to destruction of around 2700 missiles including US
s Pershing I and II and USSRs SS-4, 5.
- Both the parties can now develop the short length nuclear weapons. Russia`s President Vladimir Putin announced to develop new missiles.
- This can again start the nuclear weapon race between both the nations. In the time of nations like North Korea is condemned for its nuclear tests, this can create an environment of nuclear arm race.