Question: Who will become the first Lokpal of India as per the Lokpal Act, 2013?
(a) Ajit Mohanty
(b) AK Sikri
(c) PC Ghose
(d) Markandey Katju
- Pinaki Chandra Ghose will become the first Lokpal of India. His name was approved by the high level selection committee chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The name of other members is also finalised.
- The Committee included Chief Justice of Supreme Court Ranjan Gogoi, Speaker Lok Sabha Sumitra Mahajan and former Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi as its members.
Pinaki Chandra Ghose:
- He was appointed as judge of Calcutta High Court in 1997.
- He later became the Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh and was elevated to Supreme Court in 2013.
- He is currently a member of the National Human Rights Council (NHRC).
Lokpal Act 2013:
- This Act was passed in 2013 and provisions made to set up Lokpal at the centre and Lokayuktas in state.
- It was setup to inquire into allegations of corruption against certain public functionaries and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- This act is applied to public servants in and outside India.
- The appointment came after Supreme Court asked the Centre to appoint Lokpal.