Question: Second Scorpene class Submarine Khanderi, which has recently been received by Indian Navy, is manufactured by?
(a) Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
(b) Cochin Shipyard Limited
(c) Hindustan Shipyard Limited
(d) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd,( GRSE)
- On 19th September, 2019; Indian Navy has received Scorpene submarine INS Khanderi.
- India’s biggest warship builder Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL) has delivered this second of the six Scorpene class submarine to the Indian Navy in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The submarine will be commissioned shortly at naval dockyard.
- The acceptance document was signed by Rakesh Anand, Chairman & Managing Director (MD) of MDL and Rear Admiral B Sivakumar, Chief of Staff Officer (Tech), Western Naval Command.
- The first of the scorpene submarine named INS Kalvari was commissioned in the year 2018. The last of the submarine is expected to be delivered by 2022.
- The submarine is named as Khanderi after the name of wide snouted Sawfish Khanderi which is a deadly sea predator of the Indian Ocean.
- The Scorpene class of submarines can undertake multifarious tasks typically undertaken by any modern submarine that include anti-surface as well as anti-submarine warfare.