Question: Recently, which exercise was conducted by Indian Army near China border in Eastern Ladakh?
(a) Chang Thang
- On 17 September 2019, Indian Army conducted an integrated massive exercise named ‘Chang Thang’ near China border in Eastern Ladakh.
- It was conducted at an altitude of 12,000 feet.
- The exercise involved the use of infantry, mechanised forces, T-72 tanks, with force multipliers such as artillery guns and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. The army’s aviation assets were also used. Parajumping of troops also took place.
- The air force was also roped in the exercise.
- Such an exercise has happened for the first time in the ‘super high altitude area’.
- The exercise is significant as there arised scuffle between Indian and Chinese troops on the northern bank of Pangong lake in Ladakh on September 11, 2019. Also, China is finding itself uneasy on the abrogation of Article 370 in J&K and its bifurcation into two UTs J&K and Ladakh.