Question: Recently India has been re-elected as the member for another 4-year term of which of the following organizations?
(a) International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
(b) Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG)
(c) North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
(d) Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- India has been re-elected as the member of the International Telecommunications Union Council (ITU) for the period another four years (2019-2022). The elections to the council were held during the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 at Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- During the elections, India had secured 165 votes and ranked third among the 13 countries elected to the council from the Asia-Australasia region, eighth among the 48 countries elected globally to the council having 193 member states.
- India’ s presence in the ITU council will help the country voice it’s opinions at a time when global standards for technology are being framed and work around 5G standards is in progress.
- The country has been a regular member of the ITU Council since 1952.
International Telecommunication Union (ITU):
- ITU was founded in Paris in 1865 as the International Telegraph Union. It took its present name in 1934, and in 1947 became a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- ITU, based in Geneva, Switzerland, is a member of the United Nations Development Group, and has 12 regional and area offices in the world. ITU has been an intergovernmental public–private partnership organization since its inception.