Question: Who recently inaugurated the first phase of Chabahar port?
(a) Ashraf Ghani
(b) Hassan Rouhani
(c) Sushma Swaraj
(d) Narendra Modi
- On December 3, 2017, Iranian President Hassan Rohani inaugurated the first phase of Chabahar port.
- India, Afghanistan and regional representatives were also present on this occasion.
- Simultaneously, bypassing Pakistan a new strategic transit route has opened among three countries Iran, India and Afghanistan.
- Chabahar port is an important port on the banks of the Gulf of Oman in southeastern Iran, which offers a minimum distance of sea route to trade with South Asian countries in Asia.
- Chabahar port is important for both business and strategic approaches to India.
- Strategically, it provides a sea route to India for Afghanistan.
- Apart from this, it will also balance the Gwadar port (Baluchistan, Pakistan), which is being developed by the China.
- In the view of business it is a better option for trading with Central Asia than India’s dependence on Pakistan.
- It is to be mentioned that the first phase of the Chabahar port project was inaugurated with the Shaheed Beheshti port in Chabahar and its first phase was called ‘Shaheed Beheshti Port’.
- It is worth noting that almost a month ago; India sent the first shipyard of wheat to the Afghanistan through the sea route through the Chabahar Port.