Question. How many projects have been selected for funding under IMPRINT-2?
- On August 5, 2018 the government headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved 122 new research projects under IMPRINT-2 for advancing research in the higher education institutions.
- These projects estimate Rs 112 crore covering Energy, Healthcare, Advanced Materials, ICT, and Defence Domains.
- What is IMPRINT and IMPRINT -2
- IMPacting Research INnovation and Technology (IMPRINT) launched on November 5, 2015 was a multi-stakeholder mission programme aimed at bridging the gap between scientific knowledgebase created through fundamental and applied research and fruitful translation of the same through engineering invention and technogical innovation for the betterment of society.
- IMPRINT-2, with wider scope, simpler guideline for participation and better synergy among investigators, partners and collaborators.
- SERB (Science and Engineering Research Board) in the Department of Science & Technology (DST) is proposed to be made the nodal agency for implementing the IMPRINT-2 initiative working along with the National Coordinator . The SERB will create a separate vertical under its overall set up with allocated resources and a time bound action plan for selection, funding and management of research projects under IMPRINT. Secretary (HE) and Secretary (DST) would be co-chairpersons of this vertical. The Expert Pool of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) will also be utilised for project review and knowledge management.
- In order to improve end-user tuning, it has been proposed to bring on board the stakeholder ministries right from the conceptualisation stage so as to nurture a participative ecosystem of project formulation, maturation, execution and delivery. Further integration of the programme for achieving national development and our commitment to global goals is proposed through sub-programmes covering states of India and partnership with the sustainable development goals (SDGs). Specific focus is proposed to be given to collate, analyse and document all the communications and consultations during Round-I and those proposed in Round-2 in order to come up with the policy document and roadmap to research in engineering sciences within the next couple of years. The Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana (UAY) scheme will be subsumed with IMPRINT-2 and no further call for proposal submission under UAY will be issued.