Question: Import of urea is canalized by which two State Trading Enterprises?
(a) Metals & Mineral Trading Corporation of India & STC State Trading Corporation of India
(b) Coal India Limited & Project & development India Limited
(c) Bharat Heavy Electricals limited & NFL National Fertilizers Limited
(d) None of the above
- On 8 January 2019, in a written reply to a question on prices of imported fertilizers, in Lok Sabha, Rao Inderjit Singh Minister of State for Planning (IC) and Chemicals &Fertilizers notified that the price of urea is determined on the basis of demand and supply of urea in the international market.
- The Department of Fertilizers (DoF) has been importing urea on government account and the import of Urea is canalized through the two State Trading Enterprises (STEs) namely Metals & Mineral Trading Corporation of India (MMTC) & State Trading Corporation of India (STC).
- The STEs import is based on Global tendering and the quantities are procured at L1 rates by the STEs.
- For import of urea, Steering Committee of Secretaries (SCOS) takes the decision. This Committee consists of Secretary (Fertilizers) (as Chairman), Chairman Railway Board, Secretary (Commerce), Secretary (Expenditure), Secretary (Agriculture) and Secretary (Shipping).
- SCOS decides the overall quantity of urea required to be imported on Government Account and authorizes Secretary (Fertilizers) as Chairperson of SCOS to determine the timing, quantity and STE to import urea on Government Account for ensuring adequate availability of urea in the country.