Question: Which of the following ‘Made in India’ Microprocessor has been developed by IIT-Bombay recently?
- Prof. Madhav Desai and his team of nine researchers from IIT Bombay has developed a microprocessor called AJIT which is conceptualized, designed, developed and manufactured in India.
- The project was funded by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and IIT Bombay. Powai Labs, a Mumbai-based company, has invested in the venture, and will own, market and support the product.
- AJIT is a medium-sized processor named after Prof. Desai’s friend and mentor late Ajit Shelar.
- Ajit can be used in WiFi routers, secure power metres or even electronic voting machines.
- A microprocessor is commonly known as the brain of an electronic device. It is an integrated circuit that contains a few million transistors (semiconductor-based electronic devices) fused on a semiconductor chip.
- The innovation would not only reduce the country’s imports but also make India self-reliant in electronics in order to sustain the India’s electronics market which is expected to reach $400 billion by 2020.