Question: Which of the following athletes were awarded IAAF Athlete of the Year for 2018?
(1) Eluid Kipchoge
(2) Dina Asher
(3) Caterine Ibarguen
(4) Deepa Karmakar
Correct options are:
(a) 1, 3 and 4
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 3
(d) All of the above
- Kenyan marathon runner Eulid Kipchoge and long and triple jumper from Caterine Ibarguen of Colombia were awarded male and female World Athlete of the Year at a ceremony in Monaco on 4 December2018 by IAAF.
- 34-year-old Kipchoge won the London Marathon and Berlin Marathon.He set a world record of two hours, one minute and 39 seconds in Berlin. He is second Kenyan to win this award after 2010 winner David Rudisha.
- Ibarguen won the triple and long jump in the Central American and Caribbean Games. She has also won Continental Cup and Diamond League Finals.
- Men and Women rising star award was given to Sweden`s pole vaulter Armand Duplantis and American 400m runner Sydney McLaughin at the same ceremony.
- IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) founded in 1912 and Headquartered in Monaco, is an international governing body for the sports of athletics.
- It organizes different athletic competitions to develop and integrate different athletic sports.