Question: Name the person who was removed as coach of India men’s hockey team recently?
(a) Harendra Singh
(b) Nagendra Singh
(c) Kamaljeet Singh
(d) Sukhwinder Singh
- On 9th January, 2019, Hockey India removed Harendra Singh as the coach of Indian senior men’s team.
- The above decision was taken after a meeting of Hockey India High Performance and Development Committee on 7th January 2019, which was attended by Chairman Dr. RP Singh and members including Olympians Harbinder Singh, B.P. Govinda and Syed Ali.
- He is given back the charge of the Junior Men’s team, with a vision and emphasis on building a strong player base ahead of the 2021 Junior World Cup and the 2020, 2024 Olympic Games.
Facts about Indian Hockey Team under Harendra Singh:
- After the side’s disappointing run at the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast under coach Sjoerd Marijne, Harendra Singh was appointed as the senior side’s coach in May 2018.
- Under Harendra Singh, India managed to get sixth position at the World Cup and India won Bronze medal at the Asian Games under his guard, and then followed it up with gold at the Asian Champions Trophy.