Question: Which of the following animal has been declared as “City animal of Guwahati” thereby making Guwahati the country’s first city to have its own animal?
- On 6 June 2016 Guwahati became first city in the country to have its own ‘city animal’ with Kamrup metropolitan district administration declaring Gangetic River Dolphin as its mascot.
- Gangetic River Dolphin is locally known as ‘Sihu’ .The endangered Gangetic river dolphin has been voted by residents as “City animal of Guwahati” thereby making Guwahati the country’s first city to have its own animal.
- River dolphin was chosen over two other endangered wildlife species — greater adjutant stork and black soft shell turtle.
- In the three-month long voting process Gangetic River dolphin received 24247 votes out of 60003 total votes.
- On the other hand, the Greater Adjutant Stork got 18454 votes while the Black Softshell Turtle got 17302 votes.
- Kamrup district administration in collaboration with a city-based NGO, Help Earth, conducted voting for selection of city’s animals from among the three species.
- Besides online and text message voting, booths were set up in 76 city schools and at the office of the district administration.
- Guwahati is one of the major cities of Eastern India, located on the bank of Brahmaputra river.
- In ancient times it was known as the “Pragjyotishpura”.