Question-‘Global TB report’ is published by-
(a)World Health Organization.
(b)International Labour Organization.
(c)World Food Organization.
(d)None of the above.
- Global TB Report 2018 is been published by World Health Organization (WHO) every year since 1997.
- The main aim of the report is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date assessment of the TB epidemic, and of progress in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the disease at global, regional and country levels.
- According to the report, among the 10 million people who developed tuberculosis in the year 2017, India accounted for 27 % of it.
- India has highest number of people having tuberculosis among the top 30 high TB burden countries in the world.
- Of these 10 million people who developed TB, 5.8 million are men, 3.2 million women and one million children.
- Tuberculosis is an infectious disease caused by bacteria (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) that affects the lungs. It can also spread to other parts of the body, such as, Brain and Spine.
- It can spread through air from person to person. It is an airborne pathogen.
- There are two kind of tuberculosis-
- Latent tuberculosis– In this type, bacteria remain in the body in an inactive state. They cause no symptoms and are not contagious. But they can become active.
- Active tuberculosis– In this type, bacteria cause symptoms and can be transmitted to others.
- Diagnosis of active TB is based on chest X-rays, as well as microscopic examination and culture of body fluids. Diagnosis of latent TB relies on the tuberculin skin test (TST) or blood tests.