Question: Which of the following city has been recently declared as the most livable city in the world as per EIU?
- The city of Vienna, Austria has been ranked the most liveable city in the world for the second year in a row as per the latest Global Livability Index 2019 released by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) on September 4, 2019.
- The list includes 140 cities all around the world under several parameters.
- Vienna had the highest scores for stability, culture and environment, education and infrastructure and health care.
- Melbourne, Sydney, Osaka, and Calgary, Canada is included in the top five cities in the index.
- Asian cities havescored slightly below the global averagewhile three Asian cities — Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea (135th), Pakistan’s Karachi (136th) and Bangladesh’s Dhaka (138th) — are among theten least liveable globally.
- London and New York has been ranked 48th and 58th out of the 140 cities in the survey.
- Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) was positioned at the 89th place, Moscow (Russia) at 68th, St Petersburg (Russia) 71st.
- The Chinese cities in the list include Suzhou at 75th rank, Beijing 76th, Tianjin 79th, Shanghai 80th.
- Delhi has been dropped by six places to rank 118th in the latest ranking scoring 56.3 point. It is due to increase in cases of petty crimes and poor air quality.
- Finance capital Mumbai also fell two places since last year and ranked 119th on the list due to a downgrade in its culture scores.
- The report has mentioned “an escalation in abuses against journalists in recent years” in India.
- The EIU said its ranking of 140 cities is based on their scores in five broad categories — stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure.
- War hit Syrian capital Damascus has scored least in the list with 30.7 points.