Question: Which of the following turmeric got GI tag on March 6, 2019?
(a) Hyderabad Turmeric
(b) Bikaner Turmeric
(c) Travancore Turmeric
(d) Erode Turmeric
- Erode ‘manjal’ Turmeric got the prestigious GI (Geographical Indication) tag from the Geographical Indication Registry of India on March 6, 2019.
- The certification is granted under the spices category which comes under Class 30 of GI classification.
- Erode Turmeric received this tag after 8 years. The application was filed by the Erode Manjal Vanigargal Matrum Kidangu Urimaiyalargal Sangham.
- It is a kind of turmeric cultivated in Erode district, parts of Coimbatore and whole of Tirupur districts of Tamil Nadu. It is known for the unique qualities it carries because of its place of origin.
- The crop is grown in hot moist conditions prevalent in the area with temperature ranging from 20 degrees to 37.9 degrees Celsius with an average of 600 to 800 mm rainfall in a year.
- The earliest reference about turmeric can be seen in Atharvaveda (ca. 6000 Year. B.P.) prescribed to cure jaundice.
- It is a sign used for a product of area-specific origin which also has qualities specific from the area of origin.
- This tag also bars the third party usage of name of the product.
- Such recognition helps in increasing the national and international demand of the product and ensure better price for the product in both domestic and international market.