Question: How many villages are aimed to develop under recently launched Ganga Gram Yojana?
- The Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti on 5 January 2016 launched Ganga Gram Yojana at Village Puth in Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- Under the scheme, 1600 villages that are situated along the banks of river Ganga will be developed.
- In the first phase of the Ganga Gram Yojana, 200 villages in UP have been selected.
- Government will spend one crore rupees on every village under this programme.
- It would be mandatory for every household in selected villages to have functional toilets.
- In these villages, open drains falling into river Ganga will be diverted and alternative arrangements for sewage treatment will be made.
- Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation also deployed the first company of “Ganga Task force Battalion” to fast track implementation of Namami Gange Programme.
- It was deployed at Garhmukteshwar town in Hapur district of UP.
- Three such companies will be deployed soon at Kanpur, Varanasi and Allahabad.
- The Jawans of the Ganga Task force will be deployed on the banks of the river Ganga to ensure that industry and civilians do not pollute the river.