Question: Who is awarded the Gandhi Peace Prize of 2018?
(a) Ekal Abhiyan Trust
(b) Akshaya Patra Foundation
(c) Vivekananda Kendra
(d) Yohei Sasakawa
- The Central Government announced the winners of prestigious Gandhi Peace Prize. The awardees for year 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 were announced jointly by the government as it was unawarded for last four years.
- Mr. Yohei Sasakawa, Goodwill Ambassador of United Nations and Chairman of Nippon Foundation was awarded with Gandhi Peace Prize of 2018 for his voluntary contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India as well as across the world.
- The prize for the year 2017 was given to Ekal Abhiyan Trust for their contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender and Social Equality.
- Akshaya Patra Foundation and Sulabh International were jointly given the award for 2016. Akshaya Patra Foundation has immensely contributed in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India while Sulabh International has contributed in improving the sanitation facility and hygiene as well as emancipation of manual scavengers.
- The award for 2015 was conferred to Vivekananda Kendra, Kanya Kumari for their contribution in rural development, education, development of natural resources.
- These awardees were selected unanimously by a jury consisting of PM Narendra Modi, Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, Leader of Opposition Mallikarjun Khadge and Member of Parliament Lal Krishna Advani.
- Gandhi Peace Prize Award was instituted in the year1995 on 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The awardees are awarded with Rs. 1 crore, a citation in a scroll, a plaque and an exquisite traditional handloom item.
- Julius Nyerere, former President of Tanzania was the first recipient of this award in 1995. ISRO was the last recipient of this award for the year 2014.