Question: Who is the highest paid athlete in the Forbes 2019 list?
(a) Virat Kohli
(b) Lionel Messi
(c) Cristiano Ronaldo
(d) Roger Federer
- Argentinean football star Lionel Messi topped the Forbes 2019 list of 100 world’s highest-paid athletes announced on June 11, 2019.
- Virat Kohli is the only Indian in the Forbes 2019 list of 100 world’s highest-paid athletes.His ranking was 100th down from 83rd ranking last year despite increase in the earnings by $1 million.
Forbes 2019 list: Key Facts:
- Lionel Messi has topped the Forbes 2019 list as the world’s highest-paid athlete (total earnings $127million) for the first time, dethroning boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather.
- Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo was at the second spot (total earnings $109 million) and Brazilian footballer Neymar was spotted on the third place (total earnings $105 million).
- It is the first time since Forbes began tracking athlete earnings in 1990 that footballers have taken up the top three spots. 35 basketball players appear in the top 100 athletes.
- Roger Federer was at the fifth place in the list with (total earnings $93.4 million).
- Other major names in the top 25 of the Forbes 2019 list include Tiger Woods, F1 racer Lewis Hamilton, tennis great Novak Djokovic and Irish martial artist and boxer Conor McGregor. Serena Williams sole woman on Forbes 2019 list with earnings of $29.2 million.