Question: External Affairs Minister of India made a two day visit to which nation in the first week of June 2019?
- Newly appointed External Affairs Minister and former External Affairs Secretary Dr. S. Jaishankar visited Bhutan on 7-8 June, 2019.
- This is his first visit abroad as the foreign External Affairs Minister.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met Bhutan’s top leadership, including Prime Minister Lotay Tshering on June 7 and discussed important elements of the bilateral ties with emphasis on development partnership and cooperation in the hydropower sector.
- He also conveyed Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s greetings during his talks with Prime Minister Lotay Tshering.
- Bhutan has been a close ally of India and bilateral ties between the two countries are on an upswing in the last few years.
- India and Bhutan share a unique and time tested bilateral relationship, characterized by utmost trust, goodwill and mutual understanding.
- During the visit, the two sides discussed entire gamut of bilateral relations, including the upcoming high-level exchanges, economic development and hydro-power cooperation.
- Bhutan was Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s first overseas visit after assuming charge in 2014.