Question: From which of the following year the ending of Haj subsidy was ordered by the Supreme Court through a decision passed in 2012?
- On January 16th, 2018, the Union Minority Welfare Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi announced the end of the subsidy on annual Haj pilgrimage from the current year (2018).
- It is known that in the year 2012, Supreme Court passed an order directing to end Haj subsidy by 2022.
- Supreme Court in its order cleared that subsidy is not only unconstitutional but also not in conformity with the teachings of the Quran.
- With the end of the Haj subsidy, around Rs. 450 crore per year will be saved.
- This amount will be spent on the education of minority women and girls.
- It is worth mentioning that this year; a record 1.75 lakh Muslims will visit Haj pilgrimage, which will be the largest Indian batch after Independence.
- For the first time this year, women will also go on Haj pilgrimage without male maintenance or Mehram.