Question: Consider the following statement in reference to the campaign led by Central Government to utilize WAQF properties:
1) The property will be used for socio-economic empowerment of the needy sections
2) The central government under Skill India has constructed many schools, colleges etc. on the property on WAQF
3) The government has expanded the development programmes for Minority to 308 districts
4) The Central Government is also awarding those Mutawallis who are performing well in management of WAQF properties
Choose the correct options:
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 3 and 4
(d) All of the above
- Union Government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has successfully been carrying forward the campaign to utilise WAQF properties across the country for socio-economic empowerment of the needy sections.
- Report of a five member committee headed by retired Justice Zakiullah Khan for reviewing waqf property leased rule was also presented to the Minister of Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
Developmental Works done:
- The “Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karykram” (PMJVK) has constructed schools, colleges, ITIs, skill development centres, multi-purpose community centres, Sadbhav Mandap, Hunar Hub, hospitals, business centres etc on WAQF properties across the country.
- The districts identified for Minorities Development has also increased to 308 districts and campaign for educational empowerment of girls from minority community has started across 308 districts of country for the first time.
- 308 districts, 870 blocks, 331 towns and thousands of villages have been covered under PMJVK accelerating the properties for the benefit of society. There are around 5.76 lakh registered waqf properties across the country.
- The Central Government is awarding those “Mutawallis” who are performing well in management of WAQF properties to ensure utilisation of these properties for betterment of the society especially educational empowerment of girls.
- Central WAQF Council is also helping state waqf boards in complete digitalization of records. One-man “Board of Adjudication” has been established at the Central level under the chairmanship of retired Supreme Court justice for the purpose of dealing with complaints regarding waqf properties.
About WAQF Board
- A WAQF is a charitable donation mentioned in Islamic law and done mostly in the form of building, plot, land and other assets for Muslim religious and charitable purpose with no intention to reclaim it. There are various State WAQF Boards as well as a Central WAQF Board which looks after and administer these properties.