Question: Recently Union Cabinet has approved which of the following Agreements?
(a) The Nice Agreement
(b) The Vienna Agreement
(c) The Locarno Agreement
(d) All of the above
- On 13th March 2019, UnionCabinet has approved the proposal for India’s Accession to the Nice, Vienna and Locarno Agreements.
- This will harmonize the classification systems for examination of trademark and design applications, in line with the systems followed globally.
- It is remarkable that Nice Agreement is based on the international classification of goods and services for the purposes of registration of marks.
- Vienna Agreement leads to setting up an International classification of the figurative elements of marks.
- Locarno Agreements deals with an International classification for industrial designs.
- The accession is expected to instill confidence in foreign investors in relation to protection of IP’s in India.