Question-Recently, which of the following biosphere reserve has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR)?
(a)Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve
(b)Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
(c)Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve.
(d)Nokrek Biosphere Reserve.
- The Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve of Sikkim, one of the highest biosphere reserve in the world has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of Biosphere Reserves (WNBR); it is 11th Biosphere Reserve of India that has been included in WNBR.
- This Biosphere Reserve includes world’s third highest Mountain peak, Mount Kangchenjunga (8,586m).
- The decision was taken to include khangchendzonga in WNBR at the 30th session of international coordinating council of Man and Biosphere reserves programme of UNESCO held at Palembang, Indonesia, in July, 2018.
- India has 18 Biosphere Reserves and with the inclusion of Khangchendzonga, the number of internationally designated WNBR has become 11, with 7 Biosphere Reserves being domestic Biosphere Reserves.
- The core zone – Khangchendzonga National Park was designated a World Heritage Site in 2016 under the ‘mixed’
- Biosphere Reserves (BRs) are representative parts of natural and cultural landscapes extending over large area of terrestrial or coastal/marine ecosystems or a combination thereof and representative examples of bio-geographic zones/provinces.