Question- Prestigious UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) Award is given to-
a) Shri Manoj Jhalani
b) Ajay Narayan Jha
c) Rajiv Gauba
d) None of the above
- Context of UNIATF Award
- Shri Manoj Jhalani, Additional Secretary & Mission Director (NHM), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, has been conferred with the prestigious UN Interagency Task Force (UNIATF) Award for his outstanding contribution towards prevention and control of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and related Sustainable Development Goals.
- This award will be conferred on Shri ManojJhalani during the forthcoming Third High-level meeting of the UN General Assembly at the event organized by the Task Force on 27thSeptember 2018 to be held at New York.
United Nations Interagency Task Force (UNIATF)
- For prevention and control of Non-communicable Diseases, UNIATF was established by the UN Secretary General in June 2013 under WHO.
- It supports governments, in particular low and middle-income countries, to tackle Non-communicable Diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and chronic respiratory disease.
- The World Health Organization acts as a secretariat and lead for the task force.
- Its terms of reference were adopted by Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in July 2014.
- The Task Force reports once a year to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
India’s effort for prevention and control of NCDs
- National Health Mission and Aayushman Bharat scheme has been launched in which free diagnosis, treatment follow up, referral and back referral have been integrated into the program.