Question: Name the technological institute which inked an agreement with C-DAC to develop India’s first Peta Flop High Performance Computing Facility recently?
(a) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
(b) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
(c) Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
(d) Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, is all set to ramp up its research and development activities with the acquisition of a 1.3 petaflop high power computing facility and a data centre under the National Supercomputing Mission (NSM).
- The institute signed a memorandum of understanding with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) to facilitate supply, installation, commissioning and operations of the system.
- The research activities will include building hardware and software for high performance computing systems, data management, analytics, and visualizations.
- In addition, the system will be used for research in computational biology, drug design, atmospheric modelling, computational fluid dynamics, modelling of novel materials, computational chemistry and physics, numerical mathematics, computational mechanics, and non-equilibrium molecular dynamics.
- The National Supercomputing Mission is being implemented jointly by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) at an estimated cost of Rs. 4,500 Crore.
- It envisages installing vast supercomputing grid comprising of over 70 high-performance computing facilities spread across the country.