Question: Which schemes developed by ICAR have significantly contributed to increase in agriculture production?
(d) ARYA and READY
- On 20th December 2018, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Radha Mohan Singh notified that the technology & technological systems developed by the ICAR have symbolically contributed to an increase in food grain, horticultural crops, milk, fish and eggs production.
- The ICAR has included this measure in the field of agriculture which will provide job opportunities to the younger generation along with income enhancement of the farmers.
- In this direction, numerous steps have been taken at different levels including providing training to the farmers at Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK’s) on various subjects related to agriculture under the Entrepreneurship Development Programs (EDPs) and support with technical resources.
- The Minister said that in order to make agriculture more attractive to rural educated youth, the Attracting and Retaining Youth in Agriculture (ARYA) scheme is proving to be very effective.
- The Student READY (Rural Entrepreneurship Awareness Development Yojana) programme has also been initiated to modernize graduates of agriculture and associated subjects for ensuring and assuring proficiency & for developing entrepreneurs in these areas.
- The ICAR has also setup a network of 25 Agri-business Incubation (ABI) Centers.
- The efforts of these centers are resulting in new startups which are coming in the market.