Question:Recently,who assumed charge as the new Election Commissioner of India?
(a) Sushil Chandra
(b) Ashok Lavasa
(c) Umesh Sinha
(d) Sandeep Saxena
- On 15th February 2019, Sushil Chandra assumed charge as the new Election Commissioner (EC) of India.He joins the Commission with Chief Election Commissioner Shri Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner Shri Ashok Lavasa.
- Chandra is a 1980 batch Indian Revenue Service Officer.
- Prior to joining ECI Shri Chandra held the office of Chairman in Central Board of Direct Taxes, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, and Government of India and was also Member (Investigation), C.B.D.T.
- Currently, Sunil Arora is serving as 23rd Chief Election Commissioner of India.
- The President appoints Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners. They have tenure of six years, or up to the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Amar Mani Upadhyay