Question:A mega event Surging Silk was organized in which of the following city?
(c) New Delhi
- On 9 February 2019, Surging Silk,a mega event was organized by the Ministry of Textiles and Central Silk Board in New Delhi emphasizing the growth of silk industry in India.
- In order to eradicate thigh reeling by end of March 2020,Buniyaad Tasar Silk Reeling Machines were distributed to women reelers from tribal areas. The machine is developed by Central Silk Technological Research Institute in association with an entrepreneur from Champa in Chhattisgarh.
- A mobile application e-cocoon was also launched for certifying the quality of silkworm seeds.
- On the occasion,best achievers of silk industry across various segments were honoured and awards were also given to the best performing states.
- Addressing the event,Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani notified that silk production in country has increased by 41 per cent since 2013-14.
- It is worth to mention that India is the second largest silk producer and largest consumer of silk while China tops the list of silk production in the world.
- Silk production capacity of India is expected to reach about 38,500 tonnes by 2020 from the current level of 32,000 tonnes.