Question: On January 18th, 2018, Nuclear-capable inter-continental ballistic missile ‘Agni-5’ was successfully tested from of Dr. A.P. J. Abdul Kalam (Wheeler Island). It has the strike range of –
(a) Over 3000 km
(b) Over 5000 km
(c) Over 2500 km
(d) Over 6500 km
- On January 18th, 2018, Nuclear-capable inter-continental ballistic missile ‘Agni -5’ was successfully tested from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island) of Odisha.
- ‘Agni 5’ is a surface-to-surface missile with strike range over 5000 km.
- It is designed and manufactured by the Defense Research and Development Organization.
- 50 meter long, 50 ton weigh fire-5 tropical missile.
- This was the fifth successful test of this missile.
- Earlier, on April 19th, 2012, the first test was done, on September 15th, 2013, second test and on January 31st, 2015 third test and the fourth successful test was done on December 26th, 2016.
- It is noteworthy that with successful test of ‘Agni -5’ missile on April 19th, 2012, India has joined exclusive ICBM with US, France, Russia and China countries.