Question: Which edition of the Status Paper on Government is released by Central Government recently?
- The Central Government released the 8th Edition of the Status Paper on the Government Debt on 18th January, 2019. This provides a detailed analysis of the Overall Debt Position of the Government of India.
- The Central Government has been bringing-out an Annual Status Paper on Government Debt since 2010-11.
- This paper enhances transparency by providing a detailed account of debt operations during the year and an assessment of the health of the public debt portfolio based on internationally accepted debt performance indicators.
- The paper also covers details of fiscal deficit financing operations of the Central Government during the year 2017-18.
- The overall liabilities of the Central Government are on a medium-term declining trajectory and Government’s Debt Portfolio is characterised by prudent risk profile. Government is primarily resorting to market linked borrowings for financing its fiscal deficit.
The report facts:
- Total debts of Central government has increased to Rs. 82.03 lakh crore from Rs. 79.80 lakh crore previously. In the last four-and-half years of NDA government, it has increased to 49 per cent of total which was Rs. 54.90 lakh crore in June 2014.
- The Total Debt is the sum total of Public Debt and other liabilities. Public debt further includes external and internal debts.
- The Public Debt increased from Rs. 71.25 lakh crore to Rs. 73.22 lakh crore as compared to the last findings contributing majorly to the total debts.
- The Total Internal Debts in Public Debts increased from Rs. 66.23 lakh crore to Rs. 67.96 lakh crores.
- The External Debts in Public Debts also went up from Rs. 5.01 lakh crore to Rs. 5.25 lakh crore.