Question: Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of-
(a) Indira Gandhi
(b) Rajeev Gandhi
(c) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
(d) Swami Vivekananda
- On 31 October 2018; Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) was organised by Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs.
- This event was introduced by Government of India in 2014 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India.
- It is to be noted that Shri Vallabhbhai Patel came to be known as ‘Sardar’, for his extraordinary leadership during Bardoli Satyagraha. Role of Sardar Patel in unifying India and his philosophy about Unity and Integrity of the country was highlighted.
- Specifically on the occasion of National Unity Day (on 31st October 2018) Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi unveiled the Statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (182 meters high statue made of soil and metal from all the parts of the country) in Gujarat. It is named as Statue of Unity.
- The Statue of Unity or SOU is situated in the Narmada district of Gujarat, India. It is the world’s tallest statue, with a height of 182 metres. The statue is on a river-island facing the Narmada Dam (also called the Sardar Sarovar dam) near Rajpipla, 100 kilometres southeast of the city of Vadodara.