Question: Which of the following statement/s is/are correct about the development of Indo-Bhutan relations with reference the present visit of Bhutanese PM to India?
1) 2018 is the Golden Jubilee year of diplomatic relations between India and Bhutan
2) This is the first foreign visit of Bhutanese PM Mr. Tshering after taking charge
3) India also announced financial help worth 4,500 crore to Bhutan
4) PM Modi also announced launching of Rupay cards in Bhutan
(a) 1 and 3
(b) 2 and 4
(c) 1 and 4
(d) All of the above
- To celebrate Golden Jubilee year of the establishment of formal diplomatic relations between India and Bhutan, Dr. Lotay Tshering Prime Minister of Bhutan was on a three day State visit to India from 27-29 December, 2018.
- He was accompanied by Dr. Tandi Dorji, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Loknath Sharma, Minister for Economic Affairs and senior officials from the Royal Government of Bhutan.
- India and Bhutan acknowledged the exemplary ties of friendship and cooperation, based on utmost trust, goodwill and mutual understanding at all levels.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi commended Dr Lotay’s “Narrowing the Gap” vision for Bhutan on the lines of PM Modi’s “Together with all, development for all.”
- Several announcements were made by Indian counterparts. India announced to contribute Rs. 4,500 crore to the 12th Five Year Plan of Bhutan (July,2018- June,2023). India earlier provided Rs. 4,500 for the 11th Five Year Plan that lasted between 2013-2018.
- India also re-determined its focus on infrastructural development promised to be done including the timely completion of Mangghe-Deshchu project as well as various other hydro projects.
- Rupay cards will be launched soon in Bhutan which will improve person to person contact between countries. ISRO is planning to build a ground station in Bhutan which will benefit Bhutan in the field of telemedicine, disaster relief and climate trends through the service of South Asian satellites.