Question: Which of the following statement/s is/are correct in reference to recent events associated with UNSC?
1) Five new members namely Belgium, Dominican Republic, Germany, Indonesia and South Africa are appointed as the new non-permanent members of the UNSC
2) UNSC is composed of total 10 members including five non permanent members
3) The Presidency of the Council is given to the Dominican Republic
4) The Presidency is rotated every month and the tenure of non-permanent members last for 1 year
(a) 1, 3 and 4
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1 and 3
(d) All of the above.
- On 3 January 2019, Belgium, Dominican Republic, Germany, Indonesia and South Africa were appointed new non-permanent members of the United Nations Security Council for the period of 2 years. Dominican Republic is elected the President of the UNSC.
- The outgoing members are; Bolivia, Ethiopia, the Netherlands, Kazakhstan and Sweden.
United Nations Security Council:
- The United Nations Security Council is the most powerful body of United Nations, responsible for maintaining International peace and security as well as accepting new membership to the UN. It is one of the 6 main organs of UN.
- It is constituted of 15 member countries having 5 permanent members with veto power and 10 non-permanent member countries.
- With the Article 23 of Charter, amended in 1963 and enforced in 1965, General Assembly increased the number of members of non-permanent countries from 6 to 10. With Rule 142 of the rules of procedure, Assembly elects 5 non-permanent members each year.
- The non permanent members have 5 African and Asian states each, 1 Eastern European state, 2 Latin American states and 2 Western European and other states. Non-permanent members are elected by a secret ballot with two-third majority.