Question: Consider the following statement regarding the benefit of new National Mineral Policy, 2019 approved by Cabinet is:
1) The New National Mineral Policy will ensure more effective regulation
2) It will lead to sustainable mining sector development in future while addressing the issues of project affected persons especially those residing in tribal areas
Choose the incorrect statement
(c) Both (1) and (2)
(d) Neither (1) nor (2)
- National Mineral Policy, 2019 is approved by Cabinet on 28 Feb 2019.
- Focus on transparency, better regulation & enforcement, balanced growth & sustainability, Grant of Industry status to Mining activity.
- The New National Mineral Policy will ensure more effective regulation.
- It will lead to sustainable mining sector development in future while addressing the issues of project affected persons especially those residing in tribal areas.
- The aim of National Mineral Policy 2019 is to have a more effective, meaningful and implementable policy that brings in further transparency, better regulation and enforcement, balanced social and economic growth as well as sustainable mining practices.
- The National Mineral Policy 2019 aims to attract private investment through incentives while the efforts would be made to maintain a database of mineral resources and tenements under mining tenement systems.
- The new policy would focus on the use of coastal waterways and inland shipping for evacuation and transportation of minerals and encourage dedicated mineral corridors to facilitate the transportation of minerals.
- It proposes a long term export import policy for the mineral sector to provide stability and as an incentive for investing in large scale commercial mining activity.
- It also introduces the concept of Inter-Generational Equity that deals with the well-being not only of the present generation but also of the generations to come and also proposes to constitute an inter-ministerial body to institutionalise the mechanism for ensuring sustainable development in mining.
- National Mineral Policy 2019 replaces the extant National Mineral Policy 2008 (“NMP 2008”). The impetus to review NMP 2008 came about by way of a direction from the Supreme Court wide its judgment in Common Cause v/s Union of India & Others.
By Achyutanand Pandey