Question: Which of the following rover that was sent to Mars was recently declared dead?
- After exploring the Mars surface for more than 14 years NASA Golf cart seized Rover Opportunity went dead on 20th February, 2019.
- Opportunity is a robotic rover of NASA which was landed at the Gusev Crater on Mars on January, 2004.
- Its mission was to search for wide range of rocks and soils for clues to past water activity on Mars.
- It was designed to explore the surface of Mars for three months but went on for more than 14 years.
- The rover has stopped communicating with earth after a global dust storm on Mars disrupted its functioning.
- The last communication by Opportunity was received on 10th June, 2018.
- As part of NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover (MER) mission, two identical solar-powered rovers: Opportunity and Spirit, landed at the Gusev Crater and Meridiani Planum respectively in January, 2004.