Question: Which one of the following places was selected for the cleanest iconic place award-2017?
(b) Meenakshi Sundareswar Temple
(c) Vaishno temple
(d) Ajmer Sharif
- On October 1st, 2017, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation announced the 10 most clean iconic place under the ‘Swachhta Hi Seva’.
- Meenakshi Sundareswar temple of Madurai was remained at the first place as the Cleanest Iconic Place for 2017.
- Under the ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, on October 2, a special award was given to Madurai Municipal Corporation on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- Till March 2018, the temple complex has to be completely made of plastic free area.
- This scheme worth approximately Rs 11.65 crore is being sponsored by Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- This temple has 12 Gopurams and its sanctum is 2500 years old.
- Malik Kafur, the Islamic conqueror (Allauddin Khilji’s general), almost demolished it after looting in 1310 AD.
- It was reconstructed by Tirumalaya Nayak between 1623-1655 AD.
- Meenakshi Sundareswar Temple is related to Lord Shiva and Parvati.