Question: Which of the following country blocked the listing of terrorist Masood Azhar in the United Nations Security Council using the veto?
(d) Saudi Arabia
- Neighbouring country and UNSC permanent member China put a “technical hold” on India’s proposal to list Masood Azhar as a global terrorist at the UNSC on March 13, 2019.
- China mentioned that it needs more time to study the matter for an in-depth assessment of the matter and put a hold in the 1267 Sanctions Committee at the UNSC.
- China has previously blocked his listing 3 times. This was a fresh bid by India following the Pulwama attacks which was done by JeM as claimed.
- This hold is valid for 6 months which could be further extended to 3 months.
- A total of 14 out of 15 members (4 of permanent and 10 of non-permanent) of UNSC supported India on the issue while seven members were co-sponsoring the resolution to list Azhar.
- This proposal was brought by France, UK and US to designate Azhar under the 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council post Pulwama terror attack.
- Masood Azhar (Mohammed Masood Azhar Alvi) is a top Jaish-e-Mohammad leader and has been in the masterminds of various terrorist attacks over India which includes suicide bombing at Army Headquarter in Srinagar, 2001 Parliament attack. 26/11 Mumbai attacks of 2011, as well as the latest Pulwama attack in February 2019 which claimed more than 40 lives of CRPF personnel.
- He was arrested by security forces in India (Kashmir) in 1994 but was released after Indian Airlines plane flight 814 hijack which was forcibly made to land in Kandhar in 1999 and 3 terrorist including him was asked as a ransom.
- After this, he formed the Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) terrorist group in 2001. He was also a close aide to Osama bin Laden and has a strong presence in African terrorist and radical outfits.