Question: In context of AWWs (Anganwadi Workers) under ICDS scheme, cash prize of National level workers has been increased to?
- On 07th January 2018, Union Minister for Women & Child Development, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, in the presence of Minister of State for MWCD, Dr. Virendra Kumar conferred National Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) for Exceptional Achievements for the year 2017-18.
- These awards are given annually by Government of India at the National and State Levels since 2000-2001. The cash prize of AWW’s for National Level has been increased from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 50,000. State Level award comprises of a cash prize of Rs. 10,000.
- There has been significant improvement in Anganwadi workers condition due to improvements like increase in honorarium, better promotion avenues, health insurance and better work environment among others.
- As per rules & procedures, National Level awards to AWWs are given to the awardees nominated by States/UTs out of the State/UT Level awardees. The number of nominations of AWWs at National Level depends on the size of the State/UT and operational ICDS Projects.
- The award is given with the objective of motivating AWWs and recognises their exemplary service in the field of child development and related areas under the ICDS Scheme.