Question: The Central Government constituted the Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal on March 12th, 2018. Its chairman will be–
(a) Justice Dr. Ravi Ranjan
(b) Justice Inderjit Kaur
(c) Justice Arun Mishra
(d) Justice A.M. Khanwilkar
- On March 12th, 2018, the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation have issued a notification today constituting the Mahanadi Water Disputes Tribunal.
- The Tribunal will have its headquarters at Delhi and will have the following members nominated by the Chief Justice of India:
- Mr Justice A.M. Khanwilkar, Judge, Supreme Court of India as Chairman
- Justice Ravi Ranjan, Judge, Patna High Court as Member
- Mrs Justice Indermeet Kaur Kochhar, Judge, Delhi High Court as Member
- The Tribunal has been constituted following orders of the Supreme Court dated 23rdJanuary, 2018 in a suit filed by the Government of Odisha.
- The Government of Odisha had sought to refer the water dispute regarding the inter-state river Mahanadi and its river valley to a Tribunal for adjudication under the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956.