Question: Which of the following is the first Indian woman boxer to won record six gold medals in World Boxing Championship?
(a) Aruna Mishra
(b) Sarjubala Devi
(c) Mary Kom
(d) Simranjit Kaur
- India’s boxing legend Mary Kom bagged gold medal at the 10th editionof AIBA (International Boxing Association) Women’s World Championship held in New Delhi from 15th -24th November 2018. She defeated Ukraine’s Hanna Okhota by a unanimous 5-0 decision in the women’s 48-kilogram light flyweight category.
- In this Championship, India won total four gold, three silver and three bronze medals.
- This victory marked her sixth medal in World Boxing Championship. Prior to this, she won the gold medal in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 editions of the Championships.
- She has also bagged bronze medal in the 2012 London Olympics.
- Nicknamed as Magnificent Mary hails from Manipur. She was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Rajya Sabha.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India, appointed Mary Kom along with Akhil Kumar as national observers for boxing.