Question: Recently Lok Sabha passed Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill 2018, which will come into force from?
(a) 26 September 2018
(b) 27 June 2018
(c) 9 September 2018
(d) 9 May 2018
- On 14th December 2018, Mr. Jagat Prakash Nadda, Minister of Health and Family Welfare introduced Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill, 2018 in Lok Sabha. It shall be deemed to be effective from 26th September 2018.
- Bill amends Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 and replaces it with the Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018.
- The 1956 Act provides for replacement of the MCI (Medical Council of India) and its reconstitution within a period of three years. The Bill amends this provision to provide for the replacement of the MCI for a period of one year.
- The Act aims to provide for the Board of Governors which will be formed by seven members (maximum). The members will be appointed by the Central Government and they will be persons of prominence in the field of medical education.
- The Bill amends the plan so as to allow for efficient administrators.
- Also the Bill provides for the Board of Governors to be assisted by a Secretary General appointed by the government.