Question: The key component of the DNA Technology (Use & Application) Regulation Bill-2019 are-
(a) Establishment of a DNA Regulatory Board
(b) Accreditation of DNA laboratories undertaking DNA testing, analyzing
(c) Establishment of the National and Regional DNA Data Banks
(d) All of the above
- On 8 January 2019, Lok Sabha passed “The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill – 2019.”
- This Bill aims to establish DNA-based forensic technology which is efficient in strengthening Justice delivery system of the country; for solving crimes; to identify missing persons; to identify offenders; to identify person under trials and to know more about unknown deceased persons.
- DNA (Deoxy-Ribo nucleic Acid) Technology assures that the DNA test results are reliable, and the data remain protected from misuse or abuse in terms of the privacy rights of our citizens.
- The key components of “The DNA Technology (Use & Application) Regulation Bill-2019” include; establishment of a DNA Regulatory Board; accreditation of DNA laboratories undertaking DNA testing; analyzing, establishment of the National and Regional DNA Data Bank and to assist in forensic investigations.
- This will aid in scientific up-gradation and streamlining of the DNA testing activities in the country with appropriate inputs from the DNA Regulatory Board which would be set up for the purpose.
- The Bill will add value in empowering the criminal justice delivery system by enabling the application of DNA evidence, which is considered the gold standard in crime investigations.