Question: With reference to Launch window for Chandrayaan-2 in near future, Chandrayaan’s orbiter lifespan is around?
(a) One year
(b) Two year
(c) Three year
(d) Four year
- On 18th January 2019, ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan notified that India’s second Moon mission Chandrayaan-2 will be launched during March 25-April 30.
- Chandrayaan-2, India’s second mission to the Moon is a totally indigenous mission comprising of an Orbiter, Lander and Rover.
- After reaching the 100 km lunar orbit, the Lander housing the Rover will separate from the Orbiter. After a controlled descent, the Lander will soft land on the lunar surface at a specified site and deploy a Rover.
- The Chandrayaan-2 weighing around 3290 kg will have a life span of one year and would orbit around the moon and perform the objectives of remote sensing the moon.
- The payloads will collect scientific information on lunar topography, mineralogy, elemental abundance, lunar exosphere and signatures of hydroxyl and water-ice.