Question- Which of the following is/are true about Ecological Sensitive Areas (ESA)-
(A)Areas around the Wildlife Sanctuaries, National Parks and Protected Areas as requiring more protection due to their sensitiveness.
(B)It has been notified by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change.
(C)Both a & b.
(D)None of the above.
- The centre will soon issue a fresh draft notification declaring Western Ghats as an eco-sensitive area (ESA).
- Since Karnataka is not in favour of draft notification hence it is ready to reject the notification as “it will adversely affect the state’s economy.
- The first notification in 2014 had made 56,825 sq km of the Western Ghats (in six states including Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu) eco-sensitive.
- The States around the Western Ghats have also objected to the earlier notification have claimed that it would affect their economic development due to the prohibition in activities like mining and setting up industries in that region.
- Ecological Sensitive Areas (ESA) are areas around the Wildlife Sanctuaries, National Parks and Protected Areas as more protection is required due to their sensitiveness
- An ESA could go up to 10 kilometers around a protected area as provided in the Wildlife Conservation Strategy, 2002.
- These areas have been notified by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change.